Saturday, June 4, 2011

Power Through The Priesthood

          When I was in the sixth grade I had an accident that helped me gain a strong testimony of the power of the Priesthood. I had just woken up from a nap and had to go feed the cows before dinner. I hopped on my bike to ride down to the barn. As I was coming around the corner there was a big pudle of water that I tried to avoid, but because of my speed my back tire slid out from under me and my handle bar hit my stomach and knocked the air out of me. After what seemed forever I got my breath back and staggered back up to the house. I laid on the couch for awhile and my mom thought I was just being a baby. She told me to go upstairs and lie down. She told me that I just needed to suck it up and I would get better. Around 11 O'clock that night my parents decided to take me to a family friend who was a doctor. He checked my stomach and thought it would be good to go to the hopital. Before we left my Father and the doctor who both held the Priesthood authority of God laid their hands on my head and gave me a Priesthood blessing.


       Now I am sure that some of you are wondering what the Priesthood authority of God is and why it is so important in the world today?
   
    (1)  The priesthood is the authority to act in God’s name. The same priesthood authority that existed in the original Church established by Jesus Christ exists in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints today. The Church is directed and led through this authority. All male members of the Church who are prepared receive the priesthood in order to help lead the Church and serve Heavenly Father’s children. A man with the priesthood might serve in some of the following ways:
  • Leading congregations of the Church
  • Performing the ordinances of the Church, such as baptism
  • Blessing those who are sick

      I was one of those who was sick after having my bike reck and I was able to receive a blessing. We arrived at the hospital and they ran tests on me to see what was wrong. They found out that I had lacerated my liver. Because I lived in a small town and resources were tight I was flown to a major hospital in Phoenix Arizona. There I was put into the ICU. One night I wasn't doing very well. I had a fever and was in a lot of pain. The doctor's came in and decided that they would do surgery. They left and prepared the room for me to have surgery and returned again thirty minutes later. They decided to check me again just to make sure I needed surgery. In that thirty minute time span my liver had healed just enough to where I didn't have to have surgery. The liver is the only internal organism that heals by itself. However, I know that it wasn't just luck that kept me from having surgery, but it was the Priesthood of God that healed me. I was still kept under close watch, but was released from the hospital a few days later.  

           I know that the Priesthood authority works in the world today. God has a living prophet on the earth. The Priesthood is a blessing in our lives. through it the necessary ordinances can be performed and we can experience many miracles.



1 comment: